Sunday, February 21, 2010

Let's Talk Leadville...

Leadville is a great place for a Historic Preservation Program given it's unique character and small town charm. The history of Leadville is quite interesting. Placer gold was discovered in the nearby hills in 1860 and prospectors flocked to the area. While the gold was limited, large silver deposits were discovered in the 1870's. In 1877, the City of Leadville was founded. Since then, it's had economic highs and lows within the mining industry, and today is a struggling town without an active mine. It relies on it's quaint history and Historic District for tourist dollars.

What the mines have left behind are some fantastic homes in all kinds of unique Leadville style. Among many nicknames, Leadville is known as Cloud City. So you can imagine that people around here want to add a little color to their lives. I LOVE fun colored houses, purple, blue and red among my favorites. I know it sounds absurd, but the standard beige and white just doesn't do it for me. So today I went jogging around town and decided to bring along my camera, below are a few of my fave's. There's so many I'll have to post multiple blogs to include them all. Today I'll start with the green ones...









1 comment:

  1. I lived in Leadville in the '70s. I visited in '03. The house I lived in on West 4th had been gutted, (yellow) but the one on West 7th (2nd house behind the Delaware)looked great! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete