Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ethical Dilemma of Historic Preservation...

What, this sounds strange to you? What possible dilemma could I have with preserving old buildings? Blame it on my world travels, or my guilt ridden Catholic upbringing, or my sensitive nature...I'm not sure what to blame, but I definitely struggle with the idea of preservation in America.

The key here, is preservation in America, I don't struggle as much with say, preservation in Europe, though I still question it. I've always been a very sympathetic and worldly-conscious person. I've always related to the struggles of others, the poor, discriminated, neglected, persecuted, even if they were half a world away. I've often felt that their problems were my problems too. And I do believe this, if there is persecution and suffering anywhere in the world, it brings down the spirits of all humans, there's only one energy in the world, and we all share it. Ok, but let me not get too off track. The point is, I'm sensitive to human life, and this is where my dilemma comes in.

When you consider Historic Preservation in the U.S., we're talking about relatively young time periods, 100, 200, maybe even 300 year old buildings. Child's play to the thousand+ year old homes in a lot of the world. With our history so young, it's not hard to relate to only 100 years ago. I mean, our grandparents were likely living in these 'historic' times. So when I think of American history, inevitably, I think of Native Americans.

The history of the Native Americans since say, oh maybe 1492, sucks. Any person living in America can tell you that the white European man came to these lands 500 years ago and destroyed the way of life that Native Americans were living. I'm not saying that they lived in Utopia, I'm not saying that their way of life was idealistic. Certainly the land was fraught with war, violence, drought, starvation, disease etc. But it also saw thousands of tribes that flourished, and lived reciprocally off the land, and had harmonious relations with their neighbors. They lived their lives as they saw fit. After Columbus' 'discovery' however, the 'savage' way of life was changed forever. Native Americans were killed with astonishing speeds, they were driven out of their homes and their lands, they were forced to learn English and the 'civilized' way of life, they were forced into Christianity and boarding schools, they were placed on reservations and introduced to alcohol, they were exposed to diseases and terrible white man food...etc. etc. No one can argue that they have suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the 'pioneers'.

So lets switch gears for a second, think of some of the cute little towns historic towns in America like Williamsburg, Savannah, Jonesborough...etc. Oh their so cute and so quaint. They just scream America! They're so fun to walk around and look at the old buildings, and window shop in the cute little antique stores. I am guilty as charged. But what do these towns really represent? Is this America? Is this the true pioneer spirit of our forefathers? What is missing here....

What is missing, is the true history. What was here in Williamsburg before these cute little colonial homes? Hmmm, how about locals such as the Pamunkey and Mattaponi. Where are they now? What, you've never even heard of the Pamunkey and Mattaponi? Most Americans haven't, and that I think, is a big problem. This is the foundation of my dilemma, do I, as a historic preservationist, want to be involved in preserving a building that (in my mind) directly represents the persecution of thousands of peoples? The wigwams, longhouses, tepees and lodges are gone. We can now walk the streets of the perfect little neighborhoods with white picket fences and nice Christian families. I might seem bitter here, well, I am! What has happened to the first peoples of this land is horrendous. And the bigger problem still, is that their situation is still grim today. Native Americans have very unproportional rates of debilitating illnesses like diabetes, alcoholism, HIV, heart disease etc. Their unemployment rate is far beyond the average for non-natives. The struggles from the past are as present today as ever.

By now it should be easy to see my problem. I'm not saying that I am completely against preserving Americas built environment, obviously I'm not or I wouldn't be in this program. I believe it's important to promote community solidarity, preserve the past for education purposes, and to preserve the environment as much as possible (preservation is very green). But I am very conflicted by what should or should not be preserved and glorified.

I've talked to a few good friends about this, and I keep getting the same answer. It's our history, like it or not. It should still be preserved. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was in Germany this past summer, and while there are a few concentration camps preserved for educational and memorial purposes, most of the Nazi error propaganda has been destroyed, rightly so in my opinion. Ok maybe that's not the best analogy, but you get my point. There's also the idea of life being circular, not lineal like we live it today. This also happens to be a strong theme in Native American life, coincidentally. There's a big part of me that respects this way of thinking. Like we are born, live through adolescence, the teen years, adulthood, old age, and then die. So does all of the world. We wouldn't want to preserve our dead relatives, so what's the difference in preserving our old buildings. Why not let them live their lives and be recycled back into the earth. What's the point in holding on so long....what are we trying to prove?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I didn't expect to be faced with such problems when I chose this career path. But there they are. And to be honest, I tend to have such dilemmas no matter what I'm doing (again with the Catholic guilt). It doesn't mean I'm going to abandon this field. Like my brother told me, 'you have to follow your true passion, and don't forget to keep asking questions along the way'. So for now that is what I'm doing. I continue to ponder these ideas, and question what is best (I don't think there is a right or a wrong here). I think it's important to ask ourselves such questions no matter what we do with our lives. That's just being human I guess.

In the meantime, I'd love some thoughts, feelings, suggestions about these ideas...

4 comments:

  1. You make some very good points that all historic preservationists should think about. Rather than denying the preservation of these places, another solution may be to change how they are interpreted, an idea to which you allude in your blog. The semiotics (symbolic, communicative ability) of buildings and historic places is not conveyed in the same way to all people, however. If most people (i.e., the public) like historic preservation for the way it creates a sense of place then an objective history may not even be important or related to why people like historic places.

    If you haven't seen it yet, check out David Lowenthal's book, The Past is a Foreign Country as well as Munoz Vinas' book, Contemporary Theory of Conservation. We (i.e., professional historic preservationists) operate under the fallacy that our endeavor is an objective, scientific one. We all need a stronger social science background to do our work more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your blogs. I am also enrolled in an Historic Preservation program at Edgecombe Community College in Tarboro, North Carolina. Oddly enough, I grew up on the western slope of the Colorado Rockies. I would say that the most important thing I have learned so far from this program is that ethnocentricity and regionalism can create a form of tunnel vision that blinds even preservationists to the cultural value of structures and places outside their range of familiarity. Selective preservation can also be a detriment when only certain aspects of a region's history is deemed worthy of preservation.
    For example - because we have so many structures from the Colonial and Antebellum eras in this vicinity combined with the penchant of many Southerners to indulge in Lost Cause Mythology/sentimentality - little thought or effort is put towards preserving structures from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tobacco barns and tenant farm houses from the post Civil War era are quickly vanishing from the landscape as it is no longer politically correct to recognize that sharecropping/tenant farming (with tobacco being the number one cash crop of this region)is also part of the cultural landscape of the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC-

    Ah, a dilemma indeed. This sparked me to re-read some essays in the book titled "Preservation: Toward an Ethic in the 1980's" (ISBN: 08-89133-079-8), which was required reading in my HP college days. Of interest was Jane Yarn's essay P.63, but none of the essays addressed your dilemma. Seems to me you are on to something ... perhaps your Ph.D. topic?

    Best Regards,
    DG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your field is cooler than I thought! :) Plus, awesome readership and comments!

    ReplyDelete