Saturday, September 11, 2010

Amazing Interlaken


This past Labor Day I decided to celebrate by doing a little mountain biking in Lake County. Finally I got a day off from the hard work of the summer where I could actually just play. I love to mountain bike, and it's been way too long since I've been able to do so.

I geared up my bike and headed down to Twin Lakes, a beautiful area about 20 minutes South of Leadville. I got really lucky with one of the most gorgeous days I've seen in a long time.


Let me just say that this was one of the funnest trails I've ever ridden. It was really flat (I like flat) but lots of technical turns, dips, rocks, roots and fun single track- my perfect ride! Not to mention it was a loop around this amazing blue lake. As if it couldn't get any better, about three miles into the ride I just happen to run into this amazing historic building! Wow my positive thinking has really been paying off, I mean how lucky can you get?

This historic building was Dexter's Cabin. I have heard lots about this place because this was a project that my school mates have worked on. I just got here too late and I missed it. I knew the buildings were somewhere in this area, but I had no idea I would run right into them on my ride.

Leadville Miner James Dexter built this cabin for his family in 1895. It's really an amazing home. I would consider this 'log cabin' to be quite luxurious even by today's standard. I mean, just look at that wood work!


A few yards down the road is the actual Interlaken resort. The resort was built in 1879 by John Stanley who knew these sapphire lakes had a lot of potential for the upper class Leadville residents. Dexter purchased the hotel in 1883 and expanded it by some 2,000 acres. He spared no expense in making this as luxurious a resort as possible. Just check out this privy, it's said to have had individual booths and leather seats!

In addition, the resort boasted a billiard parlor, dance pavilion, ice house, cow and chicken sheds, and a boathouse among other amenities. This was quite the set up for 19th century lodge in a very remote location.

Sadly the resort lost its vitality when Dexter died in 1899. After that it was used as a boarding house until WWI, and wasn't used since. Fortunately, the National Trust, in conjunction with Colorado Preservation, Inc. and the Forest Service, have been spending many hours restoring the buildings. It is being rehabilitated for public use. They aren't quite ready to be open to the public however, and the work has stopped in the last year or so. I'm uncertain as to why, or when it will start again, but I hope it's very soon because this site is just outstanding. Anyone that comes to this part of the country really needs to rent a mountain bike and check this out for the day. They won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment