Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall Semester!

Today is the official first day of Fall- my favorite season! Along with cooler temperatures and falling leaves, fall means the beginning of classes. If all goes well this semester I should complete all of my requisite classes for my Associates Degree by December, great news! I'm definitely ready to join the workforce again- I just hope my hunt for that great job doesn't last me too long.

First though, I need to focus on my remaining courses. I have some very interesting classes this semester, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Computer Aided Drafting is really cool. If you've never played with building houses on a computer before, you should check out this cool site: http://www.graphisoft.com/ We use Archicad technology and it's so cool to see your building come to life before your eyes!

I'm also taking Masonry. I love the hands on classes the best. Actually doing the physical work is great. As we've just started though, we haven't gotten that much time practicing with brick and mortar. What we have done however, I really like. There's such an art to masonry, and we've got a really talented teacher. Stay tuned for an entire blog dedicated to masonry.

I'm also taking Chemistry. That's right, chemistry. I thought I was so clever getting through high school and college without ever stepping foot into a chemistry class. I remember the constant cries of my fellow students trying to learn this fierce subject. I didn't want anything to do with it so I simply stayed away. Well, it turns out Chemistry is a requisite class for my HP degree, so here I am. Not so clever after all.

Here is where I must confess. After several weeks of classes, I actually... really like it! Ya ya I know, bizarre. For some odd reason science always came very easily to me. It makes no sense given that math is my hardest subject. Regardless, I've always enjoyed science. So here I am, doing my labs at home (it's an entirely online class) and I am fascinated. I am actually looking forward to my labs- I mean, watching these chemical changes right before my eyes is so cool! Nature is amazing- so technical and so complicated yet so simple. We really can't do anything without chemistry. I never realized how much we owe to those brilliant scientists of years before. Fantastic!



And lastly I have an independent study of Preservation Dynamics-Law and Economics. I still have a week before this class begins, but I must admit I am fairly terrified of it. This deals with numbers, math, equations, accounting- ahhhh! That's where I don't excel so quickly. I've got a great teacher though so I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised about the cool things I'll be learning.

So you can see why I'm excited about this semester. Lots of cool things to learn! To be honest, I kind of wish I could continue as a student- it's a pretty great life. But let's be real, the jobs are calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment