Sunday, October 24, 2010

Computer Aided Drawing (Design)

One of my classes this semester is CAD class. Before starting the class I can't say that I had any particular expectations, but I knew it would be cool to play around with 3-D drawings on the computer.

Cool indeed! It's a lot of fun to learn how to draw like an architect without needing all that complicated equipment and learning those writing techniques. Man we have it so much easier these days! In the past you had to take many many classes of learning how to draw like an architect, and even how to write like an architect. I always thought it was odd that every architect I knew wrote so neatly. Now I know why, they actually have to take a class to write like that!

Instead, we spend time learning how to use ArciCad, a really amazing computer program that let's you draw your 3-D home with all the important specifications. Just look at what my future kitchen will look like:


I know that's not the greatest picture. But if you can tell, I have a great set up with eco-friendly stainless steel appliances, a great chrome island and super cute red and grey pantry cabinet in the corner. Here's a start of what the outside will look like...


That's right, I love me some purple and red. I know you think it sounds absurd but it's going to look super cool. That's the great thing about ArciCad, the sky's the limit and you can do anything you want!

1 comment:

  1. CC-

    Yup, we think in 3-D. But, we HP'ers should know and fully understand the past architectural drawing systems e.g., multiview drawings, paraline drawings, and perspective drawings. Also we need to have an understanding of rendering tonal values and contexts are skills to have in our tool box.

    As you know, I teach the HABS documentation classes at CMC and what I've learned is that within the range of todays drawing media(s) it is arguable that nothing conveys the immediate link between human cognition and kinesthetic's and the understanding of intention more effectively that the handheld graphite pencil.

    Best,

    dg

    ReplyDelete