Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tight Spaces and Precarious Places

Oh the things we'll do in the name of preservation.

I recently heard from my co-workers from the Alpine Guard Station that nearly everything was finished up in the last days of September. That's fantastic news as we began to have our doubts we'd get it finished this year.

Elizabeth sent me some photos from her last day and the results are just awesome. Stay tuned for a blog with those photos. In the meantime I was looking through my 'before' photos and realized that we really went the extra mile with this project. Well, at least lets say that I did some things I would never have done in 'normal' civilization.

For one, I lived among the rats, mice and chipmunks day in and out. (We all did for that matter). I know I might sound rather whiny here- I mean that's just how the natural world works. But I'm a product of this modern environment, and I've become quite used to rodent free home. Ugh, who wants these things around anyway:



Luckily that one was shot by Helaman. We also put out so much rat poison that I'm sure their numbers dwindled substantially.

Then there were the very odd and cumbersome spots in the cabin that were just dang hard to reach. Like the foundation for example. When we tore up the floors inside the cabin it was obvious that the foundation needed some work. The floor joists pretty much just rested on the dirt underneath. Well, then how do we get down there and fix it. Oh, this is how...




Don't ask me how I squeezed into that little hole. I didn't mind the tight space really, but it was kind of scary thinking about what was in that dirt that I couldn't see- there were holes and stuff down there...spooky. Nothing bit or grabbed me though so it all worked out.

The one that really takes the cake though was the day that Helaman installed our new vault toilet! Was that a glorious day or what. After three months of fertilizing the Rocky Mountain Wilderness we finally got a toilet! Mind it was only a vault, it's not like it flushed or anything but I sure didn't care.

First we dug an enormous pit for the vault, then laid it in, and poured concrete all around it. From here we built an outhouse on top of the concrete. Our very own bathroom. Helaman then installed the toilet. Unfortunately for me, he dropped a wrench down the hole when he was installing it. That's right, I was the lucky one that had to be lowered down into that scary dark dungeon. (Don't Worry- it had not been used yet!!) It was still freaky though. Just the thought of the fact that I was getting lowered into the toilet was weird. I must admit it was pretty hilarious though. Helaman's a tough dude. I grabbed onto his arms and he lowered me down- like he was setting down a book- dang.



It was awfully dark down there! I found his wrench though, and then he grabbed onto my hands and pulled me back up. We were laughing so hard at the insanity of the situation I almost didn't make it.



There are plenty of other examples, but these just happened to be the ones I caught pictures of. You know, photos to show the kids some day so they can be so proud of their mom!

1 comment: