Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Kansas City Love Affair

I'll admit it, I'm having an affair. I'm in love with my hometown. I grew up in Kansas City- Missouri, NOT Kansas. (Please don't get that wrong because it will drive Kansas City Missourians CRAZY!). I left Kansas City when I was 18 to attend college at Creighton University in Nebraska. Since then, I have lived in eight different states, never returning to Missouri. Well, I visit often, but I haven't lived there since I was 18.

I'm very curious by nature, and I just don't get the point of returning to a place that I know so well. There is soooo much to see out there in the world, I want to explore it all, and that's what I've been doing. Most of my family still lives in Kansas City however, so I do visit several times a year. After living in places like Oregon, Montana, Alaska and Colorado, it's hard to feel satisfied in the plains. At least for an active person like myself. If I can't find a place to go mountain biking, hiking, or skiing, I feel somewhat claustrophobic. I wish it wasn't so, but the facts are the facts.

I wish it wasn't so because I love Kansas City. I never realized how great of a town it was when I was growing up, but I appreciate it more and more every time I'm there. It's even more impressive now that I've been studying Historic Preservation. Kansas City has first class art museums, professional sporting venues, funky art and a great music scene. It's quite hip. It even has outstanding architecture, I just never really knew that before. I mean, just look at the Country Club Plaza:
This awesome photo was taken from http://www.eyefetch.com/

For some time KC has been known as the city of fountains. Indeed, it boasts more fountains than Rome and more Avenues than Paris. I'm serious!



One of my favorite things about visiting KC is bringing friends along. Almost every time I bring a 'first-timer' to visit they're always very surprised. "Wow, I never knew Kansas City was so cool!" "It's not flat here?! There's hills everywhere!" "Look at those incredible houses? I never knew Kansas City had so much history?" "This art museum is really incredible! Who knew?" Just check out the Nelson Art Gallery:


The list goes on, Kansas City is really a well kept secret. And I haven't even touched on the Zoo, Crown Center, the award winning Bar-B-Que, the Jazz, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum...Kansas City really is where it's at! I went to KC this past weekend to visit family and celebrate my favorite day of the year, Halloween. I got to get around town a little bit, so stay tuned for a series of blogs on the fabulous places of the town. Oh if only it had mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment