Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rocking Women...

The field of architecture has been predominantly dominated by males the world over. However, this blog is dedicated to one amazing female architect that was clearly a pioneer of her day. She's even more spectacular to me because not only did she grow up and practice in Kansas City, but my very own grandparents lived in one of her houses!

Mary Rockwell Hook was born in Junction City, Kansas in 1877. After graduating from Wellesley College in 1900, Hook went to the Art Institute of Chicago enrolled in the architecture department- the first women! Even more impressive, Hook went to Paris to study under Marcel Auburtin at the École des Beaux-Arts in 1905. If you know anything about the history of architecture, you know that École des Beaux-Arts is big time!

Of course this was not without struggle, some stories tell of the discrimination she faced while at school and as a professional. It is said that French male students flung buckets of water at her as she ran across the campus. This did not deter her however.

Hook went on to design some fabulous homes. Here are a few pictures of my grandparents home. They lived here in the 1980's, and I can barely remember it. Coming back to this house some 30 years later and now understanding the architectural significance was an awesome experience!





I love the unique features on this house, like the small stone portico next to the driveway, and the random asymmetric windows on the side of the house. I especially love the extension on the back of the house that acts like a bay window on the first floor and a closed in porch on the upper floor. So cool! My dad recently told me that my grandfather used to sleep on the porch about 10 months out of the year for the fresh air and 'outdoor' experience. Now I know where I get it from!

Here's the house next door that she also designed. Gotta love the stone and the sun room!



Hook was mostly known for her Italianate design and her influence from trips to Asia and Europe. I think her work is fantastic and they definitely stand the test of time. With the struggles she endured and the awesome work she continued to produce, Hook is clearly an inspiration to women everywhere!

1 comment:

  1. Remember the Savannah Seven were ladies.... So w/out them there wouldn't have been the HP movement. Thank you ladies.

    ReplyDelete