Sunday, August 8, 2010

Haynie Brother follies...

First of all, I must give our project manager Helaman mad props for tackling the huge endeavor that is the Alpine Guard Station rehab. Restoring three buildings with very limited staff and resources in three months is a huge undertaking- he's done a fabulous job.

Thankfully his brother Bryson was able to help us move forward a little quicker. Sadly, his last day was yesterday, and he's on his way back to Utah. On that note, I'd like to take a moment and share some Haynie brother highlights from the summer.

Though the work is hard, and we're busting our butts to make these cabins look great, there is no lack of laughter and good times. Take for example our decision to burn a large pile of nastiness that came out of the barn. We had to sweep out all of the hay from the loft, and with that came lots of rat nasty as you can imagine. We wanted this stuff gone, and quick. So what better way than to burn it? And what better way is there to start a fire in the middle of a national forest? With gasoline of course...
This frightened me a bit, but it did work. As you can imagine, that pile went up in flames quick! It was pretty cool to watch actually. My only complaint was that the fire was still raging at 10p.m. I wanted to go to bed so badly, but being completely paranoid about burning down the forest, Elizabeth and I shoveled lots and lots of dirt on the fire to contain it somewhat.
Though I thought this practice of pyromany-ism was insane, several forest service employees were helping out the following week and did the same thing, so there you have it. (my deepest apologies if I get anyone in trouble for this).

In addition to fires (there were more), I was also very impressed with Bryson's gymnastic abilities. At 16 I guess you can still perform such feats like jumping off buildings without breaking a hip or something. And what better way to practice your skills than off the new solar panel shed. Just check this out...


Then there was the day of the rain- the heavy downpours that is. There has been lots of rain lately, and I'll get to that in my next post- but this event in particular deserves mention in the Brother's follies for sure. What happened was this; it was a very wet and rainy day, and that made for lots of mud and treachery. After an amazing dinner (cooked by Elizabeth and I), the brothers headed out for home in Lake City. So off with the truck they went across the field...and tires spinning, and spinning, and the truck is sliding, and they're going nowhere. It was a really wet and cold day, they really wanted to go home and I don't blame them. So how oh how where they to get the truck unstuck from this mass of slippery mud. With brute strength of course! Helaman decided that using a ratchet strap was always the best way out of a sticky situation. So there they were, tying one end to the truck, the other to a rock, and then, they'd push the strap out of the mess.
Oh if only I had gotten a picture of those first attempts! Did I mention it was slippery and muddy? Imagine the two of them pushing, pushing, pushing so hard on the strap as I pushed on the gas to move that truck. How many times did each of them nearly face plant straight into the mud right over the strap! Hilarious!

And then there's the moment of getting the strap stuck under the rock. Attempt delayed.

Here's the thing though, it actually worked. I'm not kidding. Once they got good leverage on that strap, the pushed so hard and I gunned it. The tires finally caught on some grass and up out onto the road I went. They were going home for a nice hot shower and warm bed after all, leaving the rest of us behind to sleep in the cold wet rain. It was a pretty hilarious sight to see upon victory. You can't tell so much here, but they were drenched and dir-tay!
Ah good times Haynies', thanks for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment