Sunday, August 8, 2010

Summer showers!

Oh yes, it's been quite wet, rainy and cold lately up at 10,000 feet. I must admit it's quite beautiful with the low laying clouds and misty mountain valley views.
On the other hand, it's been slightly cold and miserable with all the mud, wet clothes, and camping among them. I'm ok getting cold and wet, as long as I have a nice hot shower and warm bed to go home to. When you're cold and wet and camping however, that makes for a different story. At least my truck is relatively warm, so at the end of the day it isn't THAT bad. My huge down comforter actually does remarkably well keeping me warm. I will however do anything for a hot shower. I just don't like going to bed dirty you know?

So on Wednesday of last week, when we took our group of volunteers down to Lake City for dinner, I was stoked. I brought my toiletries bag with me. I had the ingenious plan to take a sponge bath at the restaurant. This would entail soaping up as much of my body as possible straight from the bathroom sink and using the harsh paper towels to dry. I knew I could be quick and I was excited. So to the restaurant we went. It was a pretty good place and I think the volunteers really enjoyed coming down to civilization. I ordered a quick salad and inhaled it- I wanted everyone else to be eating so I could slip away into the bathroom-come-shower. I made my way to the bathroom, and to my incredible shock- there in all it's beautiful glory was a real life, full, for real, shower. For real, a shower, as in, a shower you would have in your very own home. It was incredible. I was stunned and shocked. Why would a restaurant have a shower? I didn't care- I just locked the door, stripped down and jumped in! It was glorious- soap and all! Ah, what an amazing shower. I made it super quick as to not draw attention and occupy the bathroom for too long. Once I was done however, I realized one little problem- uh, towel? There were about 5 paper towels left in the dispenser, I used them to the best of my ability, soaking up as much water as possible. It wasn't enough but it helped. I pulled back on my dirty wet clothes but didn't care- underneath I was clean! Thank you, thank you Restaurant That Shall Not Be Named in case I get in trouble- you're shower is fantastic!
Of course, we don't always get this lucky. We must resort to other tactics up here in the middle of nowhere. Usually that means keeping a few sets of non-cotton clothes for changing, and wearing a good rain jacket. When we were able to get a fire going, some crafty volunteers took advantage to dry out their socks for example.

Other crafty folks came prepared with leg gaiters. Man what a brilliant idea! Especially when you're donning the super awesomely cool Utilikilt!
Though I was the only one with the guts, or perhaps gall, to shower in a restaurant, I have so much to learn from our fantastic volunteers. These tips are duly noted have no fear. If only I can find some leg gaiters on my next day off- rain is still in the forcast...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a beautiful random thing for a restaurant to have a shower?!?! Bizarre. Glad you got a hot one for a change though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that this was not a mirage? I have never heard of a shower in a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I am the new director of the HP program and Hayden Ranch. Bob Ogle encouraged me to contact you about your fall schedule. I don't have contact info for you. You can reach me at tanderson@coloradomtn.edu or 970-846-4553. Townsend "Towny" Anderson

    ReplyDelete