Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Switzerland of America


Oh Beautiful Ouray Colorado! You can see from the picture above why they call it the Switzerland of America. It's such a quaint little town with an unbelievable backdrop of the towering Rocky Mountains.

I went to Ouray on a day off while working in Lake City. Actually I was just passing through on my way back from Durango, I had no plans to stop here but I am so glad that I did. Ouray is quite possibly one of the cutest little towns I've ever been too. Last summer I traveled all the way to Europe to see towns just like this one...I never even needed to leave the States!

Once again, this small Colorado town was founded in the late 1800's due to.....you guessed it, Mining! The town was incorporated on October 2, 1876, and was named after Chief Ouray of the Native American Ute tribe. The entire Main Street of the town is a National Historic District. I absolutely loved these 19th century buildings.

Better yet were the incredibly cool houses, many of which serve as Bed and Breakfasts' today as tourism is likely the largest industry for the town.


Wow these homes are fantastic! I could just look at them forever. That bottom house is for sale by the way. If anyone out there has a passionate desire to move to Ouray and start a B&B you've got a partner right here! Oh, did I happen to mention the hot springs!? That's right, as if this town weren't cool enough, just go down main street a bit and you'll see a huge pool, several pools actually, complete with water slides and hot tubs fed directly by the hot springs. Oh how glorious can you get? I haven't even mentioned the endless recreational hiking, biking and climbing opportunities either. What a town. It's certainly off the beaten path, a bit of a challenge to get here, but if you ever have a chance, I would absolutely recommend and nice long weekend get away here at Ouray. You can check out more by visiting their website here: http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Summer+Activities

No comments:

Post a Comment